Tuesday 6 September 2011

The Inbetweeners Movie

Right, so I've finally gotten around to watching The Inbetweeners Movie. Until last night I was in what felt like the 5% of the population that hadn't seen the film. It wasn't that I didn't want to see the film, it wasn't because I didn't like the TV show. For anybody that knows me, I'm a very, very crude and sarcastic person most of the time. So a TV show such as The Inbetweeners is right up my alley. The reason that I put off seeing the film for a few weeks is that the cinemas were constantly rammed with people who were seeing this film. Normally I'd pop along on one of my days off in the week but with it being the summer holidays then it still meant that students were in the cinema. Call me a grumpy old man but I like my cinema to be as void of people as much as possible. When I go to the cinema then I go to watch the film, I pay attention and take in as much detail as I can. So, add in a load of people who are chatting amongst themselves, dicking around on their phones or just generally being cocks, then it annoys the piss out of me. Hence me waiting for a few weeks to catch this film once some of the hype had died down. My cunning plan worked flawlessly as there was a grand total of 9 people in the cinema and I was one of those. It's a good film, an entertaining way to pass 80 odd minutes. It most definitely had some very funny parts, some brilliantly crude lines. The plot was stupidly predictable but that's to be expected with this sort of film. It works as a film in the same way as an American Pie, Private Parts, Dodgeball or a Kevin & Perry Go Large. It's not going to change your life but it's a fun way to pass the time. It's entertaining, pure and simple. Obviously the film's helped in the fact that it already has a solid and established audience. People know what to expect from the characters, from the script and from the dialogue. It's not for everybody, but I'm sure that people who have found the show to be a turn off won't bother to watch the film. In theory, that means that everybody that watches the film should enjoy it. That said, my mum was talking to me yesterday about going and watching it even though she's never watched the TV show and has no idea of the concept of the show or the film. That should be fun for her.

I feel a little let down by myself as I've had the last 5 days off work, and with those days I was planning on catching 5 different films. The plan was to take in, in no particular order, Fright Night, The Inbetweeners, Cowboys & Aliens, Apollo 18 and Conan. Final Destination 5 was also possibly on my hit list. I've only managed to get through 2 of those, although I did spend one day watching Wrexham play (and all that comes with it) so I guess that wasn't a total waste. Apollo 18 really had my interest until I listed to Turek on the Shock Waves podcast at Shock Till You Drop (Click here to listen to Shock Waves). They really buried the film and it got a brutal review. Normally I can take or leave reviews, but those guys normally get their shit spot on. I may still try and catch Apollo 18 at some point, although my interest has waned a lot. Final Destination was on my agenda until I read about there being a scene involving laser eye treatment. As a specs wearer, the thought of that kinda freaks me out. I'm not a fan of things poking round my eyes, hence why I choose not to wear contact lenses. Cowboys & Aliens has been on my hit list for a few weeks now but I was more warm to the concept and idea than the practicality. It just doesn't look right. I dunno. I'm pretty sure I'll end up catching it before it's cinema run ends. Conan, I'm not so sure.

One thing that has gotten my giddy, that I forgot to mention a few blogs ago, is that the trailer for Shark Night 3D was shown when I caught Fright Night. Now, I'd seen the trailer online before so there was no major surprise in that sense. The surprise to me was that the trailer was being shown in my little Odeon in the first place. The cinema here, the Odeon, isn't the biggest. It shows all of the major movies. A film like Shark Night, I thought, would fall by the wayside and not get a cinema run in my neck of the woods. In my head, by showing the trailer for the film then it's basically them committing to showing the film upon it's release. At least that's how it works in my head. That said, I wasn't expecting them to run Fright Night. Maybe I should give the Odeon a bit more credit. If they want to make a good impression on me then they'll somehow manage to have a word with Kevin Smith and get hold of Red State. Still, I'm looking at getting up to Manchester to see Red State and then attend a Q & A with Kev afterwards. I just need to think of a question to top my friend's previous question of if you were half man/half sausage, would the sausage be the top half or the bottom half. That's a deep question right there.

For those that haven't seen the Shark Night 3D trailer then have a little click below. I'll hold my hands up and admit it looks shit, but it's my kind of shit. As a man that has a completely irrational fear of sharks (so much so that I get freaked out on airplanes due to the thought of sharks), I still get intrigued and interest in every single shark film out there, regardless of how shitty it is. Maybe subliminally I'm watching all of these to make sure that I have every single option covered when it comes to ways to kill a shark so that I'm fully prepped for when I have my face off with those grinning motherfuckers. Here's the trailer:



Anyways, on that note I should shoot off as I've got a report type thing to do for the end of this week that I really need to pull my finger out on. That and Wales are playing England at Wembley in a few hours. There's optimism there from me, but then I've never been a realist.

Cymru Am Byth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment